The Newport County YMCA was founded in 1878 by the Vanderbilt family. The original location was what is now the Vanderbilt Grace Hotel at 41 Mary St in Newport. The Y relocated to their current location in 1974. The land was generously leased to the Y through the John Clarke Trust. As stated in John Clarkes trust, their directive is “for the relief of the poor or bringing up of children unto learning from time to time forever.” This belief perfectly fits with the Newport County YMCA’s mission to strengthen communities through three focus areas: youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Our purpose is basic: to improve the quality of life of our members, families and community through meaningful health, wellness, and educational programs.